Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Stone

These rocks have been handled, moved, hauled, stacked, split, and formed just about as much as the old barn wood was before it settled into its current position as siding on our barn. After disasembling the old barn, hauling it to our house, and moving the piles of wood half a dozen times before the structure went up, I am used to the process. Eventually the journey will end and most of the stone will settle onto our house. If we look back at its historic journey, this stone has seen a lot of miles. Quarried in Manti in the late 1800's. Hauled to Ephraim and shaped into the city building for nearly a hundred years. Torn down in the middle of the night by Barton Construction and hauled to a field north of Ephraim where it sat for about eight years. Stacked by many hands (including mine) onto pallets and hauled to Midway. Split on our neighbors proptery and then stacked and hauled again to our house. Finally it is shaped and mortored to our house.

Thanks to Sally for taking the awesome photos of rock yard. And thanks to Chris Myrdal who is actually laying to stone on the house, saving countless hours of work and doing a beautiful job.

Making sense of the rock rubble (Ephraim)

Stacked Pallets (Ephraim)


Stacked, hauled, and waiting for the splitter (Midway)

Big Bertha Blue

The Rock Man


Where new meets old


The rock goes up

Resting Place

5 comments:

shayna said...

Seeing all of this almost makes me cry. It's just so much work. But it's all going to be really beautiful and everyone is going to be jealous and really have no idea how much work went into it.

Emily said...

This looks SO amazing! I can't wait to see it in person. I still can't believe that you guys are doing this on your own. Jason's going to be so proud.

Sally DeFord said...

What the? I didn't even know you keep a blog. Where have I been? I found it from a comment you left on Emilie Campbells's blog. I'm totally adding you to my blog list. I totally love the stone. I love that your house is art.

katrina berg said...

When I saw the stone...all I could think of was..."it's absolutely perfect"! It will really make the transition between the two. Love love it! xoxo

Merissa said...

Wow, you're addition is HUGE! Looks like it will be amazing when it's done.